See the latest vacancies and find out about working for MSF UKJobs in the UK
Being a nurse with MSF is demanding and rewarding.
From basic healthcare to helping set up health posts, nurses are vital to our work. In many situations, nurses are the backbone of our medical operations.
Our registered nurses often head departments in hospital/health centres and are the forefront of providing primary healthcare in our projects.
It’s an exciting and diverse role and you would be responsible for some or all of the following:
- Establishing and managing health posts
- Operating feeding centres and in/outpatient clinics and hospitals
- Planning and implementing vaccination campaigns
- Organising mother-child health programmes
- Training, supervising and managing local nursing staff or community health providers
Stories from the field
Nurse Michael Shek spent six months at Bentiu camp in South Sudan, where people have fled for protection from the violence engulfing the country.
In this podcast he reports on how a tough job became even tougher when malaria broke out.
- Significant post-qualification nursing experience, preferably in one or more of the following areas: infectious diseases, A&E, intensive care, obstetrics, nutrition, paediatrics, operating theatre
- Valid Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) or Irish Nursing Board registration
- Diploma in tropical nursing or relevant nursing experience in a tropical environment
- Available for a minimum of nine months
- Minimum of three months’ work, volunteering or travel experience in developing countries
- Willingness to work in unstable areas
- Adaptable and able to work in a multicultural team
- Flexible and able to manage stress
- Able to provide training and supervision to others
- Minimum B1 level in French or Portuguese
- Fluency in English
Please note, your language level may be tested during the recruitment process.
before you apply
Your safety and security
We take safety and security seriously. This video explains the risks our staff face and the lengths we go to keep them safe.
Please watch this before you decide whether or not to apply for this job.
What's it like working with MSF?
In most projects you'll be living and working in stressful conditions without many of the things you may take for granted at home.
Please watch this short video and reflect on why you want to work for MSF before starting your application.