See the latest vacancies and find out about working for MSF UKJobs in the UK
Human Resources Director - Barcelona
Médecins Sans Frontières Spain- Operational Centre Barcelona-Athens (MSF-OCBA) is looking for a Human Resources Director (Based in Barcelona)
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international independent medical humanitarian action-driven organization, which offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. Twenty one sections and sixteen branch offices make-up the international movement and work in partnership around five operational centres.
The Spanish section of MSF was founded in 1986 in Barcelona. MSF-Spain has various Regional Offices (Delegations) in the rest of Spain, Regional Branch Offices in Argentina and Nairobi as well as operational units in Dakar and Amman.
In 2005 an operational partnership was established between MSF-Spain and MSF-Greece. Today the Operational Centre Barcelona-Athens (OCBA) has five Operational cells (three in Barcelona, one in Nairobi and one in Amman) and an Emergency Unit (based in Barcelona). More recently, OCBA has created the OCBA Network, consciously evolving towards a network configuration with a growing number of MSF partners.
The social mission is focused on assisting populations, communities and individuals as it is expressed in the MSF charter, while continuously exploring new possible scenarios where response to medical and humanitarian crisis could be relevant. The quality, relevance and volume of operations have evolved significantly over the past years. MSF OCBA/ is currently active in twenty-seven medical and humanitarian crises worldwide and contributes to the global response to emergencies of the MSF movement.
The organizational units are organized into Departments: Operations, Medical, Logistics & Supply, Finances, Human Resources, Communications and Public Awareness, Fundraising, Projects and IT and General Direction. In 2019, an estimated number of 7,200 people make the social mission of MSF OCBA a reality, 580 of them based in headquarters and the rest deployed in the field. The estimated budget of MSF OCBA in 2019 is 200 million euros.
Purpose Of The Position
Reporting to the General Director (GD), the Director of Human Resources (HRD) drives culture and people strategies to ensure the long-term people needs for MSF OCBA to achieve its Social Mission ambitions and strategic objectives as dictated by OCBA Strategic Plan.
The HRD is responsible to build and maintain a culture and practice that enables trust and empowerment of MSF staff and to ensure the wellbeing of the people working with MSF is an organizational priority and a prerequisite for the mission of MSF OCBA to be successful.
The HRD is a key member of MSF OCBA Management Team, and of the International Human Resources Platform (IDRH). S/he acts as advisor to the General Director in themes and cases of specific sensitiveness.
They will be a key contributor and actor in organizational and cultural changes related with the implementation of OCBA Strategic Plan 2020-2023.
Supported by the Deputy HR Director, the HRD is responsible for the management and overall direction of HR Department, and its structural revision whenever deemed necessary.
The HRD is currently the direct manager of 6 positions in an HR Department of around 50 people distributed in several services (Human Resources Management, Recruitment and Profile Management, Learning Unit, People Administration and Labour Relationship, Rewards, Psychosocial Unit, Staff Health and Risk Prevention). Currently, the TEMBO Transformational Initiative Programme Manager also reports to the HRD.
Duties And Responsibilities
- With the support of the GD and the Management Team, leads the design, implementation, and communication of a common People (Staff) vision and strategy for MSF OCBA.
- Participates in the Organisation’s Management Team (MT) and in the analysis and definition of MSF policies, strategies and stances.
- Ensure that external/internal risks and opportunities for MSF HR are taken into account in HR planning and in the organization Risk Management.
- Is part of the Governance Risk and Compliance Steering Committee.
- Leads the development of proactive and meaningful strategies and solutions in organizational development, HR planning, integrated recruitment and talent management, compensation and benefits and employee relations.
- Leads and manages the HR department staff, setting the example for a collaborative and professional team culture
- Drives the creation of a positive and inclusive working culture that maximizes staff engagement and nurtures a culture of health and wellness for all staff.
- Continually advances efforts toward the highest standards of ‘duty of care’ for MSF staff.
- Collaborates effectively with OCBA Behaviour Committee and Abuse Lead to guarantee all necessary activities to prevent abuse and discrimination within the organization and to streamline the management of such cases when occurring.
- Defines guidelines and undertaking the actions needed to ensure MSF generates the resources and capacities needed in the short, mid and long term, by developing people and controlling its deployment
- Guides the development, implementation, and assessment of learning and development programs aiming at guaranteeing excellence and access in this key domain.
- Anticipates and responds to the ever-changing labour landscape, analyzing internal and external trends and where appropriate, translates findings into actions in order to guarantee compliance to laws and regulations.
- Supports leadership development and change management processes in the organization and advises other Directors about people management.
- Makes recommendations and workforce planning and staffing strategies to meet future MSF operational needs.
- Defines and allocates resources and budgets for the Department and following up expenses.
- Embraces transformation and innovation, continuous learning, and leveraging HR technology to improve employee experience and organizational effectiveness.
- Actively coordinates with HR Directors pertaining directly or indirectly with the OCBA Network (Nairobi, Buenos Aires, Partner Sections etc.)
- As member of the IDRH leads the movement’s effort to put people at the centre of the organization strategies and goals.
- Leads the development and coordinates strategic frameworks and reflections that guide the MSF HR network and to manages the duties delegated by the EXCOM such as the running or collaboration is specified international projects (Symphony, Rewards Review etc.)
- Aims at establishing a transparent and continuous sharing of information and resources for the benefit of the MSF social mission.
Education and experience
- University degree with a focus in Human Resources and/or other directly relevant areas and/or equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Consolidated experience in management positions in an international organization (including strong capacity for human resources management).
- Consolidated experience in humanitarian aid (minimum 3 years) will be desirable, preferably with Médecins Sans Frontières, including experience in coordination posts in the field.
- Knowledge and experience in change management
Skills, Competencies and Values
- Full commitment to MSF principles and values.
- High personal integrity and empathy.
- Strong ability to inspire, motivate, coach, and manage a dynamic and diverse team and set an example of professional leadership
- A strong user orientation with the ability to understand and define solutions to meet the unique needs of diverse populations
- Strong ability to balance analysis, reflection, judgement, and proactive decision-making to deliver timely results
- Excellent problem-solving, prioritization, and time-management skills with the ability to deliver in a dynamic environment with multiple competing deadlines
- Strong interpersonal and relationship management skills with proven success in cultivating and maintaining networks with a broad and diverse set of stakeholders.
- Talented communicator with excellent presentation and assertive negotiation skills and the ability impact and influence organizational decisions.
- Very good command of English and Spanish. Knowledge of French desirable.
- Data management and analysis skills and literacy in SAP and Office 365 technologies.
- Direct experience with budgetary control and financial planning.
- Knowledge of emerging human resources issues and practices
Conditions and Physical Demands
- Location: based in Barcelona, at the Médecins Sans Frontières-Spain Headquarters
- Full-time work. Work is generally carried out during the day, Monday to Friday but sometimes it is necessary to work evenings, weekends or holidays
- International travel: 20% including to MSF Network Units, missions and projects, sometimes in unstable contexts
- Minimum of 3-year moral commitment, with a maximum term of 6 years.
- Annual gross salary: 58,863.16 euros (divided in 12 monthly payments) plus secondary benefits based on MSF OCBA Reward Policy.
- Starting date: June, 2019
How To Apply
All applicants should send their CV and cover motivation letter under the reference “HRD MSF OCBA” to OCBAHRD.Selection@barcelona.msf.org.
Please submit your CV and cover letter in ONE file and name the file with your LAST NAME.
Closing date: March 24th, 2019.
Replies will only be sent to short-listed candidates.
MSF OCBA is a people-focused humanitarian organization that offers a diverse, collaborative, and inclusive work environment. We believe this approach enhances our work and we’re committed to equity in employment. We embrace diverse backgrounds of people working together to exhibit their passion in action for the social mission of MSF.
Médecins Sans Frontieres, as a responsible employer, under article 38 of “Ley de Integración Social del Minusválido de 1982 (LISMI)” invite those persons with a recognized disability and with an interest in the humanitarian area to apply for the above-mentioned position.