See the latest vacancies and find out about working for MSF UKJobs in the UK
Being a biomedical scientist with MSF is a fascinating job.
Whether managing a hospital laboratory to screen for tuberculosis, or training local staff to test people for sleeping sickness in temporary outdoor clinics, the team often cannot function without the expertise of the biomedical scientist.
Our biomedical scientists are the lifeblood of MSF’s work, aiding clinicians in their essential diagnoses. In the field, biomedical scientists mostly work in a supervisory and training capacity. They play an important role in running our laboratories and monitoring the impact of our response to outbreaks of disease.
It’s a challenging and exciting role and you would be responsible for some or all of the following:
- Training local staff as lab technicians
- Managing a laboratory for all departments in a field hospital
- Providing support in outreach clinics, testing for neglected tropical diseases
- Carrying out surveys
- Diploma in Laboratory Technology or a degree in Microbiology with applied medical parasitology and bacteriology
- Proven knowledge of STDs, virology, Tuberculosis, blood bank, Malaria, HIV/AIDS
- Knowledge and ability required in the techniques of sample taking (blood, stool, sputum)
- Experience in using laboratory software packages and carrying out surveys
- Knowledge of laboratory testing quality control methods
- Experience in managing, supervising and training others
- Able to work well as a part of a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary team
- Willing to work in unstable areas and ability to cope in a difficult and unpredictable environment
- Available for a minimum of nine to twelve months
- Minimum of three months’ work, volunteering or travelling experience in developing countries
- Fluency in English
We're currently looking for biomedical scientists with good French or Arabic skills.
If you can speak French or Arabic you're much more likely to be accepted onto our register.
Your language level may be tested during the recruitment process.
before you apply
Your safety and security
We take safety and security seriously. This video explains the risks our staff face and the lengths we go to keep them safe.
Please watch this before you decide whether or not to apply for this job.
What's it like working with MSF?
In most projects you'll be living and working in stressful conditions without many of the things you may take for granted at home.
Please watch this short video and reflect on why you want to work for MSF before starting your application.