See the latest vacancies and find out about working for MSF UKJobs in the UK
Panel discussion: The 21st Century Odyssey
Last year 1.2 million people fled to Europe to escape conflict, poverty and persecution. Take a journey across the continent with those who have experienced this first-hand - a refugee, a journalist, a Medecins Sans Frontieres/Doctors Without Borders (MSF) staff member and some grass-roots volunteers.
We will hear their heart-breaking yet uplifting stories and ask ourselves the questions: ‘how does this affect us?’ and ‘what’s our obligation to help?
During the evening you will :
- Learn about MSF’s search and rescue operations in the Mediterranean Sea and medical support along the transit routes of Europe
- Hear a refugee’s remarkable story from Syria all the way to the UK
- Discover the nimble and compassionate volunteer movements that have sprung up
- Get an expert’s perspective and prediction for the future
- Most crucially, discover ways you can make a difference right here in northern England.
Panel of speakers
Jens Pagotto, MSF Head of Mission
Daniel Trilling, journalist and author
Ahmad Al-Rashid, Syrian refugee and student at SOAS
Maddie Harris, grass-roots volunteer in France and Greece
Rose McCarthy, Refugee Council and City of Sanctuary
Date: Thursday 3 November 2016
Time: 6.45pm – 9pm (then join us for a drink in a nearby venue)
Location: The Riley Smith Hall, Leeds University Student Union, Lifton Place, Leeds, LS2 9JT.